Make Your Own Resurrection Eggs

Like this post? Share it!

During our Easter celebrations, we try to keep the focus on Jesus. Our children do get Easter baskets, but we always explain that the Easter egg symbolizes the new life that we have in Christ, because his sacrifice on the cross cleansed us of our sins and made us right with God again.

Family Christian Stores sells a product called Resurrection Eggs, for $15. Each egg contains a symbol and an appropriate scripture verse from the gospel. I think this product is a wonderful teaching tool, but you don’t need to spend $15! You can easily make your own Resurrection Eggs at home, using a recycled egg carton, and plastic Easter eggs (I don’t know about you, but we always have tons of these. You can usually buy them on clearance for next to nothing after Easter).

These are our Resurrection Eggs, which Bee made a nice label for. I tried to tell her that the apostrophe in “eggs” wasn’t necessary, but she recently learned about apostrophes, and likes to use them whether they’re needed or not:)

We begin opening the eggs 12 days before Easter, so that the last egg is opened on Easter Sunday. The eggs contain the following items and verses:

1. Bread
“While they were eating Jesus took a piece of bread,
gave a prayer of thanks, broke it, and gave it to His disciples.
“Take and eat it,” He said, “This is My body.” Matthew 26:26

2. Silver coin
“Then one of the twelve disciples, named Judas Iscariot, went to
the chief priests and asked, “What will you give me if I betray
Jesus to you?” They counted out thirty silver coins and gave
them to him.” Matthew 26: 14-15

3. Purple cloth
“They put a purple robe on Jesus…” Mark 15:17

4. Thorns (we use a cutting from our rose bush)
“Then they made a crown out of thorny branches and placed it on
His head, and put a stick on His right hand; then they knelt
before Him and made fun of Him. “Long live the King, of the
Jews!” they said.” Matthew 27:29

5. Piece of rope, twine, or thick string (a scourge)
“Pilate wanted to please the crowd, so he set Barabbas free for
them. Then he had Jesus whipped and handed Him over to be
crucified.” Mark 15:15

6. Cross (I use a cross from a necklace with a broken chain, but you could also make one out of toothpicks)
“He went out, carrying His cross, and came to “The Place of the
Skull,” as it is called. (In Hebrew it is called “Galgotha.”) There
they crucified Him.” John 19: 17-18a

7. Nails
“Thomas said to them, “Unless I see the scars of the nails in His
hands and put my finger on those scars and my hand in His
side, I will not believe.” John 20:25b

8. Sign (I use a small square of laminated paper)
“Above Him were written these words: THIS IS THE KING OF
THE JEWS.” Luke 23:38

9. Sponge
“One of them ran up at once, took a sponge, soaked it in cheap
wine, put it on the end of a stick, and tried to make Him drink it.” Matthew 27:48

10. Spear (my husband whittled a small piece of wood to a point)
“One of the soldiers plunged his spear into Jesus’ side, and at
once blood and water poured out.” John 19:34

11. Rock
“Joseph took the body, wrapped it in a new linen sheet, and
placed it in his own new tomb, which he had just recently dug
out of solid rock. Then he rolled a large stone across the
entrance to the tomb and went away.” Matthew 27:59-60

12. Nothing (the tomb is empty)
“He is not here. He has risen just as He said.” Matthew 28:6

After we open each egg, we hang the symbol on our Easter tree, and thread the verse through the branches. Our Easter tree is just a simple branch, in a clay pot (painted by Bee with free swap shop paints), surrounded by rocks to hold it in place. This makes an interesting and thought-provoking centerpiece at our Easter table.

Last year, after we opened one of the eggs, I asked Bee to tell me why we celebrate Easter. She said “because Jesus rose from the dead.” I asked her what that means to us as Christians, and she said, “We’re saved.” Finally, I asked her what happened to our sins, and she replied, “They’re taken away.” My heart was filled with joy because she really understands! My baby girl has definitely got the Holy Spirit in her heart, and nothing could make me happier than that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Like this post? Share it!

Heather is a minimalist in love with a recovering packrat. 7 years ago, she and her husband sold pretty much anything that wasn't nailed down in order to pay off their mortgage, and they've been living happily debt-free ever since. They have 3 hilarious little kids who were conceived with the help of in vitro fertilization, and they haven't had a good night's sleep in the last decade. Heather is an anglophile who loves all things British, and spends her free time looking at real estate listings in Cornwall. Every day, she and her family work toward a simpler, more meaningful life. Some days are awesome, some are disastrous, and you can read about all of them here.

Have a question? Need a listening ear? Contact Heather, or visit Want What You Have on Facebook.

© Heather at Want What You Have, 2008-2014. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of material, including photos, without express and written permission from this blog’s author and owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heather at Want What You Have, with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. Derivative works are not permitted.

Love this post? Please consider a small donation to help maintain our site. Thank you!

Search & Win

42 comments… add one

1. Sydney Millage March 24, 2012, 12:53 am

Thanks, Heather!  I don’t have time to purchase a set and need them for Good News Club at school this week.  It will be a great project for our family to use in ministry.  I enjoy your site!

2. Melindatodd April 3, 2012, 12:19 am

I’m going to do this with my kids club class Thursday night. Thanks for the great list. My homemade set has been abused and I was missing some of it :)

Blessings,
    Mel
    Please feel free to stop by: Trailing After God

3. tlcisstaind April 4, 2012, 6:34 pm

Sorry, have to say it: If you are a Christian celebrating Easter, please don’t try to feel more
    ok with celebrating a Pagan holiday by calling “Easter eggs”
    “Resurrection eggs”.

1. heatherlynnie April 4, 2012, 7:17 pm

I’m not “trying” to feel OK with anything. I’m enjoying a meaningful tradition with my family. Are you criticizing me in order to appear superior in your perfect Christianity?

1. Vishnu April 7, 2012, 7:39 pm

am also okay with the same logic of replacing words … I am glad to put up a holiday tree in Winter Solstice … good call
        tlcisstaind

1. heatherlynnie April 7, 2012, 10:34 pm

I KNOW what I’m celebrating. Whether I call it Easter, (like my church, and every other Christian I know does), or “Resurrection Sunday,” my intentions are still the same. God knows what they are, and His opinion is the only one I care about. Yours means nothing to me.

“Therefore let no one act as your judge in regard to food or drink or
          in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day– 17 things which
          are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to
          Christ” (see Romans 14:3b, 5-6).

I would expect that since you clearly know everything there is to know about Christianity, you would be familiar with this Scripture. Perhaps you should spend more time reading God’s word, and less time roaming the internet in search of people you can judge and criticize.

1. Joseph February 22, 2014, 9:09 pm

not to mention eggs are a symbol of new birth and new life and we as Christians believe that as long as we do our best to live a Christ-like life that we will have this new birth and new life in Christ when we die :-)

this is a very creative idea…..I might include other things too besides sacred Scripture passages….like maybe quotes from the late Archbishop Sheen….even though he died before I was born I always enjoy his talks

2. Rebekah Benimoff March 24, 2013, 1:43 pm

A lot of the Easter practices have roots in both non-christian and Christian practices. According to some sources, the custom of the Easter egg originated amongst the early Christians of Mesopotamia, who stained eggs red in memory of the blood of Christ, shed at his crucifixion. The Christian Church officially adopted the custom, regarding the eggs as a symbol of the resurrection; in A.D. 1610, Pope Paul V proclaimed the following prayer: “Bless, O Lord! we beseech thee, this thy creature of eggs, that it may become a wholesome sustenance to thy faithful servants, eating it in thankfulness to thee on account of the resurrection of the Lord.

1. Rebekah Benimoff March 24, 2013, 1:47 pm

And Heather, I have to say I admire your creativity! I bought the resurrection eggs years ago to use in teaching Sunday School, and love this idea of making your own. Regardless of what the roots of the practices are, part of creative parenting is taking what our kids see around them and pointing them to Jesus. It’s part of helping them connect to God in the day to day.

4. Anu_v1 April 6, 2012, 3:33 pm

What a beautiful idea, and such a great activity to do with kids!!!

5. Martha Lacombe April 6, 2012, 8:20 pm

Soo  happy you posted this…We did these growing up and it was a super simple way to tie the “eggs” into Easter for kids. As a Christian family…incorporating eggs/bunny etc into the holiday is harmless when the focus is on the Lord and the REASON for the holiday….Do not let those who want to pull you or your idea down…..some people can not see past their own issues..! :)

6. brinafain April 8, 2012, 3:46 am

Thank you so very much for posting this!! I will be teaching the 2&3 year olds this Easter Sunday and really wanted to do this with them but I didn’t have the money to purchase them. Now I have my own homemade resurrection eggs and can share this wonderful story with them on a level in which they can understand. Thanks again :)
    -Sabrina

7. Lois Ridley April 11, 2012, 9:08 pm

Thanks=)

8. Darlene March 3, 2013, 2:37 am

What a great idea. I have never done this with my boys 5 and 3 but will this Easter. I love the tree with the scriptures woven through the branches… Love your blog!

9. Christy March 10, 2013, 4:50 am

Thank you!

10. sandy harris March 13, 2013, 9:51 am

Thank you.

11. Sara March 18, 2013, 4:55 pm

Hi there! I love this idea! Would you be okay with me linking to you and this project on my website http://freedominfrugality.com/ ? Good job giving the Word out to those who criticize too…not sure what they’re doing on your site except to wrongly judge it seems. God Bless!

1. Heather March 18, 2013, 7:04 pm

That would be just fine, Sara :)

1. Sara March 18, 2013, 7:52 pm

Great, here it is if you want to check it out!

12. Steph March 19, 2013, 3:14 am

Like this idea using the eggs and the objects in the eggs. The age that I teach (4 thru 8 yrs.) will surely make it easy for them to understand. Thank you again.

13. Annette March 25, 2013, 8:06 pm

Thanks for the idea; I did this a number of years ago and lost the paper that went along with the verses and items. My grandchildren moved back close so we finally got to do this again. I simply put them in the eggs for the egg hunt and after the grandchildren found the eggs they opened them and we talked about the meaning of Easter. A great teaching moment. We talked about the “egg” meaning New Life which we can have in Christ. Thank you.

14. Brandi March 25, 2013, 10:33 pm

Hi there Heather,
    Thank you for your wonderful post!!
    You are so sweet to share this with us!
    Brandi Smith

15. Susan Reading March 27, 2013, 4:22 pm

I was searching for resurrection buns and typed in resurrection eggs instead and came across your site. I teach Wednesday Royal Rangers Kids, kindergarten through 2nd grade and will do this for the lesson tonight. I’m so excited!
    Thank you for sharing.
    Susan

16. Jennifer March 27, 2013, 6:28 pm

This is a very creative idea and I am sure children would enjoy it. I have just one question. Do you suppose there are any symbols anywhere in heaven that combine the image of the Easter egg and The Cross?No matter how fun and creative this concept is it still is only a tradition that man often has trouble letting go of once he comes to Christ. Combining the two symbols only worsens the situation! Our children can accept pure Christian doctrine and in the long run the body of Christ will be stronger for the short term sacrifices that sometimes we must make.

1. Beatrice March 29, 2013, 4:28 am

You should pay more attention at the teaching the children happily receive through this creative activity. We need to become like them in order to enter the gates of heaven! Cannot wait!!!

2. Beth March 29, 2013, 3:07 pm

I will be praying for you Jennifer that you all God to break you out of your legalism. Please see the scripture that Heather quoted above.
      “Therefore let no one act as your judge in regard to food or drink or
      in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day– 17 things which
      are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to
      Christ” (see Romans 14:3b, 5-6)
      Please have a good day and consider what the bible says.

17. MissMollie March 29, 2013, 3:11 am

My child just came home with resurrection eggs. Alright, we teach him that Christmas is about Christ and he only gets three gifts. We teach him that Easter is about Christ dying on the cross, and I had to explain to him that the Easter Bunny does not exist, which, ironically, he picked up from one of his Christian classmates.

Why would I ever think it was okay to teach my child about torture at age 6? Honestly, not okay. At what point are we going too far? Before you start to argue your point, ask yourself, how many gifts do you buy your child for Christmas? My child gets three, because that’s how many Jesus received (three wise men). Three gifts was exactly how many I received from my parents, for the exact same reason. But I assure you I never learned of the torture Christ went through until I was much older.

I have to wonder, what is the thought process behind this, and what is the justification?

1. Heather March 29, 2013, 3:24 pm

Well, if you’ve read any of my blog, other than this post (which I’m guessing you have not), you would know that my children receive something they want, something they need, something to wear, and something to read. We don’t believe in going overboard at Christmas, but I fail to see what this has to do with Resurrection Eggs.

I don’t see how this activity is teaching children about torture. We’re teaching them the story of Christ’s death and resurrection, as taken directly from God’s word, and I am of the belief that the Holy Bible belongs to everyone. We read each verse, and show them the symbols, and they understand the enormity of Christ’s sacrifice for them. I see nothing wrong with this. It’s not like we’re letting them watch the Passion of the Christ.

Here’s what I do have a problem with – people who come to this post with no other intention but to judge and criticize.

2. Janice April 11, 2014, 7:26 pm

We use this tool to teach children through their senses. Most children learn through touch. There is no violence in these eggs. There is no *atan worship in these eggs. Thank you Heather for your commitment for sharing His-story!

18. Beatrice March 29, 2013, 4:26 am

Easter eggs and the cross when incorporated in the biblical story of Easter and Christ who died for us brings meaning to kids as they pull away their focus from Easter bunnies to Easter story of Christ’ gift for us. Children need visual appeal and creativity. I grew up with this tradition of bright red Easter eggs and am passing this tradition down to my kids as well. I am a daughter of a pastor, dedicated Christian, worshiper in love with my Lord, and devoted wife and mom of 3 children. Have Easter eggs pulled me away from Christ. On the contrary. So people, before judging others, look for the meaning of why they do what they do, in which case here it is our loving Lord, Jesus Christ! Thanks Heather. I am actually using your idea with my kids. God bless!

19. Living So Abundantly March 29, 2013, 3:43 pm

Love this idea!!! My son is four months, but I am totally doing this next year. :D

20. Angela March 29, 2013, 7:03 pm

I just want to say that I think the idea is wonderful! We recently borrowed a set of Resurrection Eggs from our church to use with our children this Easter. It is a big hit! The kids really are truly understanding the story of Jesus’s death and resurrection. It has helped to spark conversation with them that we are amazed at. My little girl told me the other night that she is so happy that Jesus loves her so much! It made my heart soar! I could honestly care less what other people think about the way I choose to teach and raise my child. That is among myself, my husband and God. I read the Bible and that is my guide to teaching my children. I pray and He helps me to know the path to lead them down. I do not judge others and they should not judge me. Different strokes for different folks…. :)

21. Surprised March 30, 2013, 2:40 am

Heather,

I was simply looking for a website with resurrection eggs when I found your site. I have never posted on a page, but felt compelled to encourage you in this case. I was completely surprised at the negative posts I read here. This post made me realize that everything we do for the glory of the Lord becomes a ministry to those who need the Lord. Don’t be discouraged. God is using you! Keep up the great work!

22. yazmin March 30, 2013, 5:13 pm

Looking forward to doing this with the kids tomorrow…what a great and simple idea to help the children remeber the true meaning of Easter…..sad to see others mentality and ignorance with their quick way to judge and justify their pointing fingers…those are the ones that Jesus called hypocrites.

23. Coral K March 30, 2013, 8:23 pm

Heather,
    I am sorry that people feel it okay to criticize what YOU do and what YOU share on YOUR blog. They should write their own and share their OPINIONS there in the hopes that others will read them and care.
    I am a Christian and, admittedly, I struggle with the commercialization of the dates that are cornerstone to our faith. I think the idea of these Resurrection Eggs is fantastic! I am surprised I had never heard of them until the Facebook post I wrote today asking how my Christian brothers and sisters combine Easter in the commercial sense with the Holy Scriptures. This is just marvelous.
    People, God can use any THING and any ONE to move his message along. Do not waste your time judging that which is not yours to judge. He knows the hearts of this woman as you do not.
    Keep on keeping on Heather.

24. Cindy March 31, 2013, 1:08 am

This is a great idea. Our church uses a “rotation” Sunday School. The children are grouped by age. Each week the lesson is taught through storytime, art, science/cooking and music. The kids only attend one class a week, so by the end of the month they’ve learned the lesson being taught (hopefully) very well through hearing, seeing and doing.

Classes have 2 adults and and at least 1 or 2 teens. The Resurrection Eggs would be a great project for the art class.

Thanks so much for sharing this idea.

25. Patricia March 31, 2013, 3:16 am

I LOVE IT! We grew up in a culture that did not place much emphasis on the religious aspect of Easter. I’m trying to come up with new rituals for our family. Thanks for the great ideas.

26. Barabara Jupin April 29, 2013, 3:14 am

Good day it was a pleasure visting your blog.

27. Mark February 25, 2014, 3:35 pm

I actually work for the ministry that created Resurrection Eggs and I have found this thread quite interesting. The original idea for this product came from a dear lady that simply wanted to share the Gospel at Easter. She made a homemade set and shared them with people she knew – of all ages. Young and old alike came to Christ. She also happened to work for the same ministry I do and eventually the idea became a product to spread the Gospel to many. I’m sure most people won’t take the time to make their own set, but many buy a set and use them. They write and email us stories of those that have come to Christ through the use of the eggs. I’ve even had people tell me at out events of someone that has come to Christ as a result of the eggs. Yes, the Easter story is brutal. In fact it is barbaric, but it is a case of mankind delivering its worst and God delivering His best. It is a story that must be told to all ages because “all have sinned and come short of the glory of God”. Resurrection Eggs can be used appropriately for all ages to share the Gospel. The point is, share the Gospel. God will not ask you anything about how you celebrated Christmas or Easter or other traditions you have or don’t have. He will ask you one thing, “What did you do about Jesus?”

1. Heather February 25, 2014, 8:31 pm

Mark, thank you for this comment. I agree with you completely.

28. Melody March 29, 2014, 5:26 am

Heather,
    I’ve been researching Resurrection Eggs to share with our grandchildren this Easter and came across your wonderful site. I also had the time to read most of the posts. Though I am thankful for those who are pointing out the “pagan” history of how we celebrate Easter, my heart is burdened to think that we would choose one history book over THE “His Story” book. My Bible has final authority. My vision and mission is to teach my grandbabies about Jesus and I will use the tools He has provided to help them best understand the true meaning of His resurrection. Jesus understood the unique way children think and learn. Sometimes I think he still scolds his legalistic disciples the way He did in Mark 10:14. He even taught adults primarily with parables and visual aids. Keep up the good work, Heather!

1. Heather March 30, 2014, 1:53 am